Jazz play all the right notes in overtime win

Associated Press • May 10, 2007 at 8:00 AM

SALT LAKE CITY - Even shorthanded, the Utah Jazz outran the Golden State Warriors.

Derek Fisher missed most of the first three quarters because of a family illness, then scored all five of his points in overtime to lead Utah to a 127-117 victory over the Golden State Warriors on Wednesday night and a 2-0 lead in the Western Conference semifinals.

The Jazz overcame the loss of rookie guard Dee Brown to a neck injury in the first quarter and had to rally to force the overtime after Golden State went on a 12-1 run late in the fourth quarter. The Warriors missed six free throws in the fourth quarter, three after taking the late lead.

Carlos Boozer had 30 points and 13 rebounds for Utah, while Mehmet Okur added 23 points and 18 rebounds and Andrei Kirilenko had 20 points, nine rebounds and six blocks.

Baron Davis had 36 points and seven assists for Golden State.

The Jazz, who won the series opener 116-112, again had to play at the Warriors' pace.

Game 3 is Friday night at Golden State.

Deron Williams had 14 assists and 17 points, hitting a crucial 3-pointer as Utah opened the overtime with a 7-2 run.

Jason Richardson scored 27 points and Stephen Jackson had eight for Golden State.

, which scored only four points in the extra five minutes. The Warriors forced 23 turnovers, but were once again badly outrebounded, 60-32. Utah had an 8-2 rebounding advantage in overtime, which Boozer opened with a layup and Williams hit his big 3 after stealing the ball from Matt Barnes. Williams took a no-look pass from Kirilenko and hit a 3-pointer that put Utah up 118-113. It was an emotional night for the Jazz. Fisher has been away from the team for two days as his daughter underwent cancer surgery in New York. The team left him on the active list, a move that became dicey when Brown went down with neck injury with five minutes left in the opening quarter. The 6-foot Brown attempted to take a charge from Barnes and the 6-foot-11 Okur landed on him in the lane. He had to be helped from the court and was taken to a hospital as a precaution. Until Fisher arrived at the arena, Utah had just 10 available players. Two of them were centers Rafael Araujo and Jarron Collins, who never left the bench. Williams got two fouls in a one-minute span the opening quarter and the Jazz were really hamstrung for a lineup to run with the Warriors. Utah managed and led by as many as 12 points before the Warriors struck quickly and took over the lead late in the fourth quarter by holding the Jazz without a field goal for 4:17. AP-CS-05-10-07 0021EDT

Recommended for You

    Kingsport Times News Videos