Travis Brian Hull, 23, 485 Ridge Road, Bulls Gap, is scheduled for arraignment Friday in Hawkins County Criminal Court before Judge John Dugger.
On the night of May 9, Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Gary Lawson responded to 485 Ridge Road in Bulls Gap, where he reportedly observed numerous bruises on the child’s face, back, arm and rear end.
The child also had a swollen and bloody lip, Lawson said.
The child’s mother told Lawson that her husband, Hull, had been watching his step-daughter while the mother was at work. Hull is unemployed.
The child gave a statement to Lawson that Hull had got mad at her because she was “messing with a iPod.”
The child allegedly stated that Hull put her face down on the bed and pushed her into the mattress so she could not breathe. According to the child, Hull then allegedly placed the child on the bed and placed his forearm on her back and spanked her.
Hull gave a statement that he told the child to sit in the corner while he went to the bathroom.
Hull stated that when he returned from the bathroom he asked the child “why does she keep messing with stuff that don’t belong to her” but the child wouldn’t answer.
Hull reportedly stated he had the child against the wall and “smacked the left side of her face and told her not to mess with things that don’t belong to her.”
The grand jury indicted him on one count of Class D felony child abuse, which carries a penalty of 2-4 years if found guilty.
Other indictments handed down Monday by the Hawkins County grand jury include:
• Kayla Brook Johnson, 22, 221 Country Lane, Lot 7, Church Hill, for felony evading arrest, DUI, driving on a revoked license, simple possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, two counts of felony tampering with evidence and violation of implied consent.
• Rondal Lee Price, 30, 207 Carters Valley Loop, Lot 6, Rogersville, for aggravated burglary and theft over $1,000.
• Brenda Sue Renna, 52, 231 Gene Derrick Road, Rogersville, for DUI, simple possession of marijuana, driving without a license and failure to exercise due care.
• Michael Shane Lowe, 33, 755 Bear Hollow Road, Greeneville, for felony evading arrest, three counts of forgery, DUI, simple possession of Schedule III narcotics, simple possession of Schedule IV narcotics and violation of the implied consent law.
• Catherine Racheal Masse, 25, Greeneville, for DUI by consent and misdemeanor evading arrest.
• LaDonna Marlene Adams, 23, 309 Western Heights Drive, Rogersville, for theft over $1,000.
• James Austin Price, 36, 114 Ferry Road, Lot 14, Surgoinsville, for burglary and theft over $1,000.
• Dustin Alan Caldwell, 22, 155 Old Webster Valley Road, Rogersville, for aggravated burglary and theft over $500.
• Joseph Michael Cooper, 24, 415 Webster Valley Road, Rogersville, for two counts of burglary and theft over $500.
•Johnny K. Seals, 42, 165 Country Estates Drive, Rogersville, for felony failure to appear and theft over $1,000.
• Paul Douglas Smith, 40, 132 Wallentow Road, Church Hill, for burglary and theft under $500.
• Jessica Nicole Christian, 23, 209 Ross Circle, Rogersville, for forgery.
• Brett Ashley Shortt, 31, 153 Ashley Drive, Mount Carmel, for three counts of violation of order of protection, forgery and two counts of theft under $500.
• Edward Glen Johnson Jr., 32, 200 Holston Terrace Drive, Rogersville, for possession of Schedule II narcotics with intent to deliver, possession of Schedule IV narcotics with intent to deliver and possession of drug paraphernalia.