no avatar

Sunday fire destroys Duffield home

Wes Bunch • Jul 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM

DUFFIELD — Officials believe an unattended stove eye was the cause of a fire that destroyed a single-family residence Sunday afternoon near Natural Tunnel State Park.

Duffield Volunteer Fire Department Chief Roger Carter said no one was injured in the blaze, which was reported around 11:40 a.m. at a home located at 2455 Natural Tunnel Parkway.

Carter said the house was fully involved in flames when crews arrived just minutes after receiving the call.

"We had a six minute response time and we found smoke coming from the eave on the front side of the house and from the eaves on the side of the house," Carter said. "We made entry into the house and it was burning from the kitchen and the living room up into the attic.

"So we had to back out and set up a master stream with a ladder truck and get it cooled off so we could work on it some more."

Carter said an initial investigation of the blaze shows it likely began in the home's kitchen before spreading to the living room and attic.

"There's a possibility it was a cooking fire," Carter said. "We're not a 100 percent sure. The owners said they had something on the (stove) eye and went out to check on the kids and then the fire alarm started going off. It did come from the kitchen area, too, it appeared."

Carter said foul play is not suspected in the fire, which rendered the home unlivable.

"The home was a complete loss," Carter said. "Everything suffered heavy smoke, water and fire damage."

The home's occupants — a husband, wife, their two children, and a grand parent — are being assisted by the Red Cross, Carter said.

"The Red Cross has been called in and they've taken over that part of the response," Carter said. "They're helping them find shelter and get started with some needed items, like clothes and medication and things like that."

Carter said the fire caused Natural Tunnel Parkway to put shut down for nearly four hours Sunday as crews worked to extinguish the blaze.

Because of temperatures near 90, Carter said fire fighters were forced to work in 10-minute rotations. Duffield fire fighters were assisted by the Gate City Volunteer Fire Department and the Scott County Sheriff's Office.

Recommended for You

    Kingsport Times News Videos