On Friday, May 10, the town of Jonesborough will kick-off the Arbor Day festivities with a tree planting at The McKinney Center at Booker T. Washington School at 10 a.m., followed by the Music on the Square Concert Series at 7 p.m.
The Arbor Day Event will continue on Saturday, May 11, with activities and vendors from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., in downtown Jonesborough at the International Storytelling Center.
Saturday’s activities include:
• Donna Nary demonstrating chainsaw sculpting and vernal wood carving from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., in front of the cabin on Main Street. There will also be finished work on display and for sale.
• Pike Electric presenting a program on power line/tree conflict at 10 a.m. at Stephenson Lot.
• The Miss Arbor Day Natural Beauty Pageant at 11 a.m. at the International Storytelling Center.
• The pet parade at 1:30 p.m., at the International Storytelling Center. Washington County Co-op will have a booth and provide prizes of cat and dog food. The winner of dog parade will be awarded a tree. The winner of cat parade will be awarded catnip. For more information, call Doug Hilton 239-9433.
• Announcement of the winners in the photography contest at 3 p.m.
• After Six performing in front of the International Storytelling Center from noon to 4 p.m.
This Arbor Day celebration will feature trees and their importance to the environment.
Vendors will offer numerous trees and plants for sale, and offer advice on placement, care and cultivation. Other questions can be answered by vendors and Master Gardeners alike at the event.