The pariah nation launches a long-range rocket, ignoring warnings from the U.N. and the U.S.
2. CAMOUFLAGED GUNMAN OPENS FIRE IN OREGON SHOPPING MALL
Terror-stricken holiday shoppers run for cover as shots ring out, leaving three dead, including the shooter.
3. MICHIGAN OK’S BITTERLY CONTESTED RIGHT-TO-WORK BILLS
Proponents say the legislation will bring more jobs to the state. Opponents contend the real intent is to weaken organized labor.
4. HOW OBAMA’S WORDS ARE COMING BACK TO HAUNT HIM
Republicans note that his current stand on raising tax rates differs from the one he took in 2010 — after he was stung by the midterm elections.
5. PLANE CARRYING JENNI RIVERA TOOK DRAMATIC PLUNGE
The music star’s jet plummeted nearly straight down at a speed that may have exceeded 600 mph, an official says.
6. US THROWS ITS WEIGHT BEHIND REBEL COALITION
Obama declares main opposition group the sole “legitimate representative” of Syria’s people.
To mark the once-a-century date, some in the U.S. are betting on good fortune and opening a new business, hitting a casino — or getting married.
8. ‘NET HELPING FEED FRENZY OVER MAYAN PROPHECY
Among the “end of the world” online posts: A mountain in France is hiding an alien spaceship that will be the sole escape.
9. ART IMITATES LIFE: FUNERAL PLANNED FOR TV CHARACTER
J.R. Ewing, played by the late Larry Hagman, will get a proper funeral on “Dallas,” TNT says. Hagman died at age 81 over Thanksgiving.
10. WHERE THE BLAME LIES IN NFL’S ‘BOUNTY-GATE’
New Orleans players were culpable — but their coaches were just as much in the wrong, ex-Commissioner Paul Tagliabue says.