Leave Feedback

Man 'staggering' in Kingsport road nearly causes wreck, allegedly fights police

Rain Smith • Jul 28, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Kingsport police arrested a man Tuesday evening after he allegedly staggered across a busy road — nearly causing a motorcyclist to wreck.

Police say that once at the jail he became aggressive and, "proceeded to remove his shirt as if he was preparing to fight," forcing officers to use pepper spray and physical force.

According to an arrest report, at 7:45 p.m. central dispatch received a call of an intoxicated male staggering in traffic near 2404 Memorial Boulevard. The caller reported he was riding his motorcycle when the man, "stepped out in front of his motorcycle, nearly causing a wreck."

Police report locating a man that matched the suspect's description at the nearby Greenwood Motel, 1778 Fort Henry Drive. He allegedly, "was staggering towards a motel room and was unsuccessfully trying to pull the door open."

According to the report, police told the man to stop but he ignored commands, finally pulled open the room's door and jumped inside. When asked to step back out he complied and officers began a pat down. The officer's narrative says that at one point the man tried to reach for his pocket, where a knife was discovered.

Police identify the man as Timothy B. Pratt, 32, of 136 Inca Drive, Mount Carmel. He allegedly had, "an obvious odor of alcohol," and admitted to drinking, "a little bit."

"He then proceeded to tell me that I somehow knew how much he had," reports the officer.

Determining Pratt was intoxicated and a danger to himself and the public, he was charged with public intoxication and transported to the city jail. The officer notes Pratt, "cursed me the entire way."

When Pratt asked if he could use the phone, according to the report, a jailer said he must first calm down. Pratt then, "drew his arm back and started backing away from us. He then proceeded to remove his shirt as if he were preparing to fight."

After exhibiting "no indication" of calming down, Pratt was sprayed with a burst of pepper spray and taken to the floor. Police say Pratt continued to resist, forcing the jailer to strike him once in the head, with an officer then administering two blows below his ribs.

Once being brought under control, police report placing Pratt in a special cell for observation. He was additionally charged with resisting stop, frisk or halt.

Recommended for You