Kingsport man arrested after foot chase through Eastman Road traffic

Rain Smith • Feb 15, 2010 at 12:00 AM

An alleged jaywalking incident, followed by a Friday afternoon foot chase through North Eastman Road traffic, prompted the arrest of a Kingsport man on an outstanding warrant and charges of evading arrest.

According to an incident report from Kingsport police, at about 1:30 Friday afternoon an officer saw a man walking across Eastman Road at Center Street. The officer's report says the crosswalk sign had not given the pedestrian the OK to cross, and "several vehicles had to stop because of the man's actions."

The officer stopped his squad car to speak with the pedestrian, in front of the Center Street entrance to Dobyns-Bennett High School. The man, identified as Terry Davis, 40, of 954 Dale St., provided the officer a Tennessee identification card. A check of the ID through the National Crime Information Center revealed an active warrant for his arrest out of Sullivan County, for violation of probation.

As the officer began to detain Davis he became argumentative, according to the report. When ordered to place his hands on the squad car Davis initially complied, but then pushed away from the officer and began running down Center Street.

The report states the officer ran after Davis, but his orders to stop were ignored. The officer reports that as Davis ran down Center Street he was, "weaving between vehicles waiting to turn left on Eastman Road."

"Davis started across Eastman and traffic was not stopping," reports the officer. "This officer gave chase and threatened to deploy the Taser. This officer did not deploy the Taser because if successful, Davis would have fallen in the intersection and the vehicles in the intersection posed a greater danger than the benefit of apprehension."

When Davis reached the outside lane of northbound Eastman Road traffic, a box truck stopped to avoid hitting him, according to the report. The officer states that when he went in front of the truck it "momentarily accelerated" and bumped him. The officer then terminated the pursuit and checked the area for Davis, who was last seen running into the parking lot of a market. He was not located.

On Saturday morning another officer followed up on Friday's report, checking Davis' Dale Street address. A woman there advised that Davis no longer lived at that location, and was last residing at 714 Maple Oak Lane, apartment D.

The officer checked the Maple Oak Lane area, locating a man that matched Davis' description in the 800 block of Forest Street. When approached by police Davis, "turned away and began to pull branches from a large bush in front of a residence," according to the report.

When ordered to the ground Davis complied, and allegedly apologized for running from police on the previous day. He said he wanted to see his child before going to jail.

Davis was arrested and charged with evading arrest and violation of probation.

Recommended for You

    Kingsport Times News Videos