Kingsport police chief's son arrested after scuffle with officers

Rain Smith • Jun 9, 2009 at 12:00 AM

The son of Kingsport Police Chief Gale Osborne was arrested early Saturday morning for allegedly driving under the influence, resisting arrest and other charges after a scuffle with police.

According to a report filed at the Kingsport Police Department, the incident occurred about 11:45 p.m. at O'Charley's, 1920 North Eastman Road. An officer in the parking lot of the nearby Hobby Lobby heard a man yelling, and observed several people standing outside the restaurant's entrance.

The officer reported that a man wearing jeans, a blue shirt and cowboy hat appeared to be causing the commotion. The officer drove through O'Charley's parking lot to find the subject, later identified as Jesse Laine Osborne, 22, sitting in the driver seat of a 1997 Jeep. Another male was in the passenger seat.

The officer reports that when the Jeep pulled forward its front end appeared to come up, as if it had been rolled over a curb and back onto the pavement. The officer then pulled the squad car behind the Jeep, and both males exited the vehicle.

According to the incident report, Osborne had an odor of alcohol, slurred speech and bloodshot eyes. When asked for his driver's license Osborne said it was in the vehicle, and started for the Jeep's door. According to the officer, Osborne was told to stop but would not comply.

When Osborne began opening the Jeep's door the officer reports he grabbed his arm and pulled him away from the vehicle. Osborne then allegedly began yelling towards people standing at the entrance of O'Charley's.

At this point, according to the incident report, Osborne was told he was under arrest. Another officer arrived at the scene, and assisted in placing Osborne's arms behind his back. Osborne began yelling again, and pulled away from the two officers, "as if he was trying to turn towards me," police state in their report.

After other unsuccessful attempts to grab Osborne's arms, police say they were forced to knee his left thigh area and take him to the ground. Police say they briefly struggled to get Osborne cuffed, but were able to restrain him, "shortly after" taking him to the ground.

Osborne was taken to Kingsport City jail, where he allegedly refused to submit a breath test.

"He was also uncooperative and claimed he could not read the implied consent and would not sign it," states the police report.

Osborne was charged with driving under the influence, violation of implied consent, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Recommended for You