no avatar

Child playing with lighter sparks fire in Kingsport apartment

Staff Report • Mar 5, 2009 at 12:00 AM

A child playing with a lighter sparked a fire in a Kingsport apartment Thursday.

No one was injured.

The Kingsport fire Department responded to Cloud Apartments about 11:30 a.m. Smoke was coming from an upstairs bedroom when units arrived, but the fire was quickly extinguished.

According to Barry Brickey, public information officers for the KFD, a child playing with a lighter in the bedroom ignited a mattress.

Family members of the child were home at the time, heard the child scream and responded to find fire in an upstairs bedroom.

Recommended for You

    Kingsport Times News Videos