Leave Feedback

Kingsport woman sentenced in fatal shooting of boyfriend's son

Jeff Bobo • Feb 6, 2008 at 12:00 AM

ROGERSVILLE — A Kingsport woman was sentenced to four years in prison Wednesday in exchange for a guilty plea to reckless homicide in the Nov. 11, 2006, shooting death of her boyfriend’s son.

Janice Marie Johnson, 48, was scheduled to stand trial Wednesday in Hawkins County Circuit Court on one count of second-degree murder before accepting the plea agreement.

Her motion for probation was denied by Judge John Dugger.

The shooting occurred after Johnson and her boyfriend, Larry Kent McCrary, went to a rural cabin on Gravely Valley Road in northern Hawkins County with McCrary’s son, Gary McCrary, 41, and another woman.

Johnson had admitted to investigators following the shooting that she shot Gary McCrary. Investigators said alcohol was involved and that the shooting occurred during an argument.

Four rifles were seized from the residence including the weapon used to kill Gary McCrary.

During the hearing to determine if Johnson was eligible for probation, Dugger noted that taking the alcohol and the loaded rifles to the cabin that night was a “recipe for disaster.”

In other guilty pleas heard Wednesday, Dugger sentenced Michael W. McPeak to three years in prison in exchange for pleading guilty to fraudulent use of a credit card over $10,000 and theft of services.

Assistant Attorney General Doug Godbee told the Times-News after the plea was heard that McPeak had been employed with a company that made deliveries to the Tennessee Valley Authority John Sevier Steam Plant in Rogersville.

On one occasion last year, McPeak kept a receipt that had a TVA credit card number on it.

He later used that credit card number to order approximately $12,000 worth of mobile handheld two-way radios

. Those purchases occurred between Aug. 23 and Sept. 7, 2007.

Godbee said all the radios had been recovered.

On Wednesday, Dugger also sentenced Rickey Lynn Davidson, 2121 Stanley Valley Road, No. 3, Surgoinsville, to one year in prison in exchange for a guilty plea to promotion of manufacture of meth.

Following a raid at his home in October, Davidson gave police a statement admitting that he’d allowed another individual to operate a meth lab at his home while he was present.

Recommended for You