Pockets of flame occasionally rose from parts of the nearly 22 square miles of charred trees, coaxed to life by winds that have vexed firefighters since the blaze began Tuesday.
"Look: There goes one now," said Bert Plante, a division fire warden for the New Jersey Forest Fire Service, pointing to a column of smoke rising from an area of the horizon that had been clear only moments earlier. "We're still getting these little flare-ups."
New Jersey Air National Guard say they believe the fire started when one of their F-16s dropped a flare into the tinder-dry Pinelands during a training mission Tuesday.
Five homes in two senior citizen housing developments in Barnegat were destroyed, and 13 homes along the line separating Ocean and Burlington counties were damaged, but no deaths and only two minor injuries were reported, officials said. Most of the roughly 6,000 people who evacuated about 2,500 homes were allowed to return Thursday.
Lester Balkie, 85, was among those who lost their homes. His trailer in the Brighton at Barnegat development burned to the ground. Tugging at his denim shirttails with both hands, he announced, "This is everything I own now."
Behind him, his children and other relatives picked through the ashes of what once was his home. What they managed to save fit into the palm of his hand: an expandable watch band, a commemorative coin, and a few other scraps of metal.
The fire started on the Warren Grove Gunnery Range, a 9,400-acre expanse of sand and scrub pine used for bombing practice by military aircraft. The military has promised to reimburse those who lost homes or property in the fire if federal investigations pinpoint the jet as the cause of the blaze.
The fire remained 70 percent contained Thursday afternoon, Plante said.
Although more than a half-inch of rain fell on the blaze Wednesday night, just as the fire was threatening to make a run at the heavily traveled Garden State Parkway, large sections of the 14,000-acre fire area remained smoldering Thursday. More rain forecast for late Thursday into Friday was expected to help.
Elsewhere, some northern Minnesota residents were allowed to check on their homes along the Gunflint Trail, a road into the wilderness where a fire has burned more than 117 square miles in the U.S. and Canada. About 140 structures, including more than 60 homes, were destroyed, but two days of wet, cool weather have helped firefighters make progress getting it contained.
Residents grieved over cabins that had been in their families for generations, and worried about neighbors who might have to move.
"That is one of the essentials or one of the joys of living up here, is the people. Absolutely the people," 80-year-old Ardis David said as she held the hand of 87-year-old Nathalie Rusk, a neighbor who walks with her to get the mail every morning.
Rusk's house was spared. David's log cabin home of 32 years was destroyed, but she plans to rebuild with help from family and friends. "It's something positive to cover up all that negative stuff that happened," she said.
Firefighters continued to battle a huge fire along the Florida-Georgia state line, where more than 700 homes were evacuated. Calmer wind Wednesday allowed firefighters to strengthen their containment lines, but the wind and temperature were expected to rise during the weekend, said Jim Harrell, a spokesman for the Florida Division of Forestry.
By Thursday, the blazes had charred 552 square miles in Florida and Georgia. The haze has reached as far north as central North Carolina and as far south as Miami.
Near Payson, Ariz., a 21/2-square-mile wildfire forced about 20 people to evacuate homes on Thursday. Authorities believe the fire, which started Sunday, was human-caused.