Leave Feedback

Motorcyclists hit 120 mph in attempt to elude police

Jeff Bobo • May 15, 2007 at 12:09 PM

ROGERSVILLE - Rogersville and Surgoinsville police worked together last week to catch two motorcycle riders who fled at speeds up to 120 mph when a traffic stop was attempted.

According to a warrant filed by Surgoinsville Police Department Officer Scott Fink, the incident occurred last Wednesday afternoon when officers received a report of three motorcycles driving recklessly westbound on Highway 11-W. When the motorcycles passed Fink on the highway, he allegedly clocked one of them at 79 mph in a 55 mph zone and pulled out to conduct a traffic stop.

Although one of the bikers stopped for SPD Chief Dale Scalf, the other two fled at a high rate of speed.

Fink stated in his report he gave chase for about a mile but broke it off when the motorcycles reached speeds of 120 mph.

"The motorcycles left me as if I was sitting still," Fink stated in his report. "It was too dangerous to pursue."

Fink radioed ahead, and Rogersville Police Department Officer James Hammonds met one of the bikers on Highway 11-W continuing westbound near the Metro Auto Group dealership. Hammonds stated in his report he clocked the blue 2007 Yahama at 74 mph.

When Hammonds attempted to make a traffic stop, that motorcycle - allegedly ridden by Travis DeWayne Light, 21, 833 Poplar Grove Road, Kingsport - turned around into the eastbound lane and fled. Hammonds stated in his report that Light passed between cars and accelerated to about 120 mph.

At the Carters Valley Loop intersection, Light allegedly turned back into the westbound lane of 11-W, and for a moment Hammonds lost sight of him.

Hammonds stated that he turned onto Blevins Road and checked the parking lot of Kincaid Church, where he observed Light standing without his helmet.

"(Light) then jumped back on the back of the motorcycle, placing his helmet back on, and attempted to accelerate in another attempt to evade, crossing into the path of my patrol unit, striking the driver's side fender and causing damage," Hammonds stated in his report.

Hammonds stated that Light then fell from the motorcycle and began walking away before being taken into custody.

Upon being arrested, police said Light told officers the identity of the second motorcyclist who fled, Brandon M. Sorah, 21, 1804 Kite Road, Apt. 2, Kingsport. The third motorcycle rider who initially stopped reportedly gave Scalf the names of Light and Sorah as well.

Fink stated in his report he called Sorah by telephone, but Sorah was uncooperative and hung up on him. Sorah was arrested at his home Wednesday evening.

Rogersville police charged Light with felony evading arrest, felony reckless endangerment, speeding, registration violation, destruction of city property, and resisting arrest. Surgoinsville police charged Light with felony evading arrest, felony reckless endangerment and speeding.

Surgoinsville police charged Sorah with felony evading arrest, felony reckless endangerment, speeding, driving without a valid license, and registration violation.

Recommended for You