NEW YORK - Wall Street closed mostly higher Monday, though technology stocks struggled to hold onto gains during the session, as a $27 billion bid by Alcoa Inc. for Canadian aluminum rival Alcan Inc. buoyed blue chip issues. The Dow Jones industrials passed 13,300 for the first time and had yet another record close. The Dow industrials rose 48.35, or 0.36 percent, to 13,312.97. The Dow rose as high as 13,317.69 Monday, topping a previous trading high of 13,284.53 set Friday. The blue chip index has hit 20 record closes since the start of the year and 42 since the beginning of October. The gains in 24 of the last 27 sessions marks the longest winning streak for the blue chips since 1927. Broader stock indicators rose. The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 3.86, or 0.26 percent, to 1,509.48.
Mount Carmel Hardee's sets record
Return to top
MOUNT CARMEL - The Hardee's restaurant at 530 West Main St. in Mount Carmel has achieved the most consecutive outstanding food safety and cleanliness ratings of any restaurant in the company. Operated by franchise operator Restaurant Management Group (RMG), the Hardee's has received a record-setting seven consecutive "platinum" audits conducted by an outside firm. The periodic audits are required by Hardee's parent company and are conducted periodically by EcoSure to ensure food safety and quality in Hardee's across the country, said Jim McDaniel who manages Hardee's Quality Assurance activities. The seven audits were conducted from March 7, 2005, to March 16, 2007. The audits scrutinize individual restaurants by looking at a list of items that focuses on food safety issues like food quality, temperature of food products (both hot and cold), sanitation of water, properly working coolers and freezers, and employee hand washing. "We're extremely proud of this recognition for (store general manager) Midge Hilton and her team," said RMG President Jack Mangan. "Our goal is to make sure that our customers know they are dining in the safest and cleanest environment we can provide. That's something we are committed to." RMG has been named Franchisee of the Year in 2002 and 2005 by Hardee's Food Systems. RMG is the fourth largest Hardee's franchisee in the United States with 45 restaurants including 18 in the Tri-Cities.
Magazine recognizes Kingsport area native
Return to top
SEATTLE, Wash. - TIME magazine's "The Global Warming Survival Guide," released in April, referenced Seattle software developer Gene Mullins in featuring his innovative, award-winning program as a high impact, feel-good way to reduce global warming emissions. An employer-based commute reduction strategy, ProximateCommute optimizes employee placement for multi-site employers, such as banks, retailers, post offices and libraries. According to Mullins, only about 20 percent of these employees work at branch sites nearest their homes. Many of the remaining 80 percent long to escape their daily traffic hassles in exchange for more free time and a healthier, safer lifestyle. By systematically matching employees to same-employer work sites closer to their homes, ProximateCommute enables participants to work their same jobs for the same employer, but with much shorter commutes - for some, up to 80 percent shorter. A Kingsport area native, Mullins graduated from Lynn View High and East Tennessee State University.
Kingsport Livestock Auction
Return to top
May 5. Steers, medium frame 1: 200-300 lbs., $128-128; 300-400 lbs., $108-115; 400-500 lbs., $86-115; 500-600 lbs., $86-109; 600-700 lbs., $75-107; 700-800 lbs., $81-97. Heifers, medium frame 1: 300-400 lbs., $67-112; 400-600 lbs., $77-104; 500-600 lbs., $55-104; 600-800 lbs., $65-91. Beef cows and calves: $510-1,060. Stock cows, $425-935. Baby calves, $45-145; Butcher bulls: 1,000-1,500, $55-65; 1,500 lbs. and up, $58-71. Sl cows breakers & boners: $47-52. Sl cows lean: $20-65. Low dress: $20-30; crips, .07.