According to police, Makayla Lashea Burrows, 19, of Bulls Gap, created the bogus Facebook account that the threats were sent from, which she used the week prior to her Jan. 17 arrest to pretend she and a coworker were being stalked and threatened.
On Jan. 17, Rogersville police responded to Burrows’ employer, GVM Childcare and Preschool on Depot Street, where Burrows and a female coworker reported they had been receiving threatening messages from a man known to Burrows as Shane Letner.
The messages escalated that day and included separate threats to “kill everyone” and “blow up the daycare” while there were about 20 children inside.
Burrows also stated that she had found a threatening note in her mailbox about a week earlier and had been receiving threatening messages on her cell phone and Facebook messenger since that time.
The messages supposedly sent by “Shane Let” told Burrows that he had found out where she lived and worked, and he planned on raping and killing her.
RPD Officer Josh Byrd staked out the daycare center the afternoon of Jan. 17, during which time Burrows and the coworker received another message from “Shane” stating the director had just left and he would enter the daycare and kill everyone.
Byrd became suspicious because the messages contained information only someone in very close proximity to the daycare could know. Byrd confiscated all phones from the daycare staff and the messages stopped.
Upon further questioning, Burrows reportedly admitted she had created a bogus “Shane Let” (short for Shane Letner) Facebook page for the purpose of sending fake threatening messages to herself and her coworker.
On Monday, she was indicted by a Hawkins County grand jury on one count of Class C felony filing a false report and one count of Class D felony filing a false report. The top count carries a penalty of 3-6 years.
Burrows is scheduled for arraignment Aug. 31 in Hawkins County Criminal Court.
Other indictments handed down Monday include:
* Chad Edward Spears, 35, 115 Walnut Lane, Rutledge, for possession of meth with intent to deliver, possession of a handgun by a convicted felon, simple possession of Schedule IV narcotics (Alprazolam), simple possession of Schedule III narcotics (Buprenorphine) and resisting arrest.
* Alex Lee Blackburn, 20, 781 Old Union Road, Church Hill, for possession of meth with intent to deliver within 1,000 feet of a public park, possession of a firearm during commission of a dangerous felony, simple possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
* Troy Lee Hamilton, 38, 116 Strahl Drive, Rogersville, for violation of the sex offender registry.
* Billy J. Overbey, 38, 1251 W. Carters Valley, Apt. 5, Kingsport, for aggravated burglary and domestic assault.
* Jody Lee Smith, 46, 535 Cave Springs Road, Rogersville, for sex offender registry violation; intentional tampering, removal or vandalism of GPS device; and resisting arrest.
* Robert Fredrick Busler, 40, 137 Wallen Town Road, Church Hill, for two counts of violation of the sex offender registry.