The most serious charge filed against 49-year-old Johnny Steven Salyer is Class C felony aggravated assault for allegedly ramming a patrol car driven by Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Anthony Crosby during the chase.
He faces 3-6 years if convicted.
On Oct. 17 around 4:30 a.m., Crosby was patrolling the 800 block of Big Elm Road when he came upon a 1997 Chevy pickup parked by the roadside.
Upon checking out the vehicle, Crosby found Salyer asleep in the back.
Whiling running a computer check on Salyer, Hawkins County Central Dispatch radioed back that Salyer was wanted for domestic assault.
Salyer allegedly heard the radio transmission and fled in his pickup.
He reportedly led police into Sullivan County, then back into Hawkins County all the way to Beech Creek Road.
The truck suffered a flat and stopped at the intersection of Beech Creek Road and Blairs Gap Road in Sullivan County, where Salyer was arrested.
Aside from allegedly ramming Crosby’s patrol car, at one point Salyer drove into a residential yard on Simpson Loop, crashing into the steps and running over a tree.
“Throughout the pursuit, Johnny drove in a reckless fashion, exceeding the speed limit and driving out of his lane with wanton disregard for the safety of other drivers or personal property,” Crosby stated in his report.
Aside from aggravated assault, Salyer was indicted on charges of domestic assault, felony evading arrest, felony reckless endangerment, reckless driving, driving on a revoked license and vandalism.
Other indictments handed down Monday by the grand jury included:
* Mitchell Todd Baker, 29, 333 Sulphur Springs Road, Rogersville, for possession of a prohibited weapon, aggravated assault, resisting arrest and vandalism under $1,000.
* Dustin Keith Overbay, 32, 420 Bay St., Mount Carmel, for three counts of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession of drug paraphernalia.
* Bradley Lynn Knowles, 27, 324 Mt. Zion Road, Church Hill, for possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, possession of a firearm during the commission of a dangerous felony, possession of drug paraphernalia and public intoxication.
* Glen Allen Johnson, 36, 2530 Lakeshore Drive, Bean Station, for aggravated robbery, felony evading arrest, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, reckless drivign and driving on a revoked license.
* Kimberly Nichole Schrodt, 44, 1275 Pressmens Home Road, Rogersville, for DUI second offense, seatbelt violation, failure to maintain due care, no insurance and failure to maintain lane.
* Michael Darnell Carson, 57, 63 Bingham Road Lot 72, Asheville, N.C., for DUI and speeding.
* Christopher Monroe Buchman, 428 Early Branch Road, Rogersville, for theft over $2,500.
* Jared Redell Courtney, 35, 404 Market St., Rogersville, for theft under $1,000.
* Lolita Gay Burton, 44, 340 College St., Rogersville, for assault.
* Dion Scott Myers, 49, 138 Grassy Valley Road, Whitesburg, for DUI fourth offense, driving on revoked third offense and speeding.
* David Charles Gatewood, 52, 120 Hyder Lane, Surgoinsville, for two counts of violation of the Habitual Motor Offender Act.