Best Bets for local enterainment
Feb 27, 2014 at 9:37 AM
• KingsportARTS will sponsor Paint the Town 5K, a 5K run/walk fundraiser, beginning at 1 p.m., Saturday at the Kingsport Renaissance Center. Entry fee is $25 for race-day registrants. Participants are encouraged, but not required, to express their creativity and come dressed or painted as a work of art. To register or for more information, visit www.werunevents.com or call 392-8420.
• Auditions for “Liberty: The Saga of Sycamore Shoals,” Tennessee’s official outdoor drama, will take place at 4:30 p.m., Saturday in the Visitors Center at Sycamore Shoals State Historic Area in Elizabethton. The performance will take place at Sycamore Shoals the last three weekends in July.
• The Kingsport Office of Cultural Arts will present an evening of the classical dances of India at 6:30 p.m., Saturday at the Kingsport Renaissance Center theater. Tickets are $12 for adults, $8 for students and free for children under age 5. For tickets or more information, visit www.EngageKingsport.com.
• “Starstruck,” the country tribute concert, will be held at 7:30 p.m., Saturday at the Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center. Impersonators will include Dean Simmons (Garth Brooks), Kelly Smith (Shania Twain), Wynonah Dove Bush (Wynonna Judd) and David Burney (Johnny Cash). Tickets are available online at www.cpe.vt.edu/reg/swvac. The cost for a reserved table for eight is $270; individual tickets are $35 each. A sponsorship of $300 includes a reserved table for eight plus extra amenities. All sponsor fees and profit from the concert benefits a scholarship fund for students from Southwest Virginia attending Virginia Tech. For additional information or to purchase tickets, call Penny McCallum at (276) 619-4311 or email [email protected]; call Dove Bush at (276) 619-4310 or email [email protected]; or call Brenda Justus at (276) 619-4310 or email [email protected]
• The Kingsport Music Club will hold its annual Young Artists Recital at 3 p.m., Sunday in the sanctuary of Mafair United Methodist Church, 1409 E. Center St. in Kingsport. Thirteen young musicians from this area will perform on clarinet, flute, harp, marimba, oboe and piano. Two area seniors will be showcased and given honorariums for their performance. Following the recital, a reception will be held in the church fellowship hall in honor of the participants and their guests. The event is free and open to the public.