Aug 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM
• Benny Wilson Band & Ivy Road will perform at 7 p.m., Thursday on Broad Street in downtown Kingsport as part of the Twilight Alive summer concert series. Taking the stage for Friday night’s Bluegrass on Broad concert will be The Velvet Blue. Show time is also 7 p.m. The concerts are free. Bring a lawn chair and non-perishable items for local food banks, but leave the pets and coolers at home.
• The 65th Annual Virginia Highlands Festival will come to a close on Sunday in Abingdon. The festival features an antiques market, a juried arts and crafts show, live music, free activities for kids, outdoor activities, historical tours and more. For a schedule of weekend events, visit www.vahighlandsfestival.org.
• The 17th UMOJA/Unity Festival will take place Friday and Saturday in downtown Johnson City and will feature music, African drumming and dancing, Zulu Connection stilt walkers, storytellers, food and craft vendors, medical screenings, a children’s carnival, corn hole toss contest, car show and a 5K run/walk race. All events are free, but donations will be accepted. For more information, call 426-2851 or visit www.umojajc.org.
• The Southern Appalachian Plant Society and Downtown Kingsport Association will sponsor the ninth annual Homegrown Tomato Fest from 8 to 11 a.m., Saturday at the Kingsport Farmers Market at the corner of Center and Clinchfield streets. The event will feature tomato contests, free tomato tastings, free tomato refreshments, culinary demonstrations by Food City and the University of Tennessee Extension Office, tomato-growing advice, tomato recipes and children’s activities. Admission is free. For more information, call 288-3675 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Dale Jett and Hello Stranger will perform at 7 p.m., Saturday at the Wellmont Regional Center for the Performing Arts at Northeast State Community College. The performance is part of the college’s “Hot Nights, Cool Music” summer concert series. The show is free and open to the public. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. For more information, email jpkelly@NortheastState.edu.