The Parker Mumpower File
Senior at Sullivan Central High School
• GPA: 3.96
• ACT: 23
• Favorite Netflix show: “Criminal Minds”
• Favorite song: “She’s Got a Way With Words” by Blake Shelton
• Person I admire: My dad
• College choice: Milligan College
• Loves to cook
• National Honor Society
• Beta Club
• Math Honor Society
• Also plays football
• Enjoys fishing
The Four Questions
1. If you could choose one career from the time you graduate college until you are 40 years old and a second career from age 40 to retirement, what would the careers be and why would choose those two?
“The first career I would have is being a Major League Baseball player,” Mumpower said. “I love baseball and intend to play in college as well. This would be a dream to be able to step on the field with some of the greatest players in the world. My next career would be a teacher and a coach. I love to teach and help students, and want to be able to spread what I have learned through my baseball career.”
2. You’ve been selected as a juror for a murder trial. Eleven of the jurors are convinced the man is guilty. The evidence seems to back them up. The only thing holding you back is a gut feeling about the only piece of evidence that seems shaky. How long would you hold out and why?
“I would try and at least hold on until we could find more evidence for the last piece. I would want to be 100 percent correct we have the right guy.”
3. As part of a reality television show, you have been given the funding to make a movie. You can select the cast and direct the movie. Describe the plot of your movie in 50 words or less, reveal the male and female leads, and tell where the movie would be filmed.
“My male lead for the movie would be Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson and for my female lead, Scarlett Johansson. The movie would take place in the Sahara Desert where there is an underground military facility. Scarlett Johansson will be named Dr. Summer Andrews. She will be an undercover agent that works for British intelligence. ‘The Rock’ will be named Tristan Moody. He is also an undercover agent working for the U.S. They both will be found out and will have to help each other escape with the top-secret documents. They then fight over who takes the documents back, and so they decide to go back to the U.S. and the military group still comes after them.”
4. What is the best advice you could give the Class of 2018 in terms of what they should do in college? Should they focus only on studies and graduating? Or should they enjoy every aspect of college life even if it means a little lower GPA? Should they split 50-50 between the two?
“The first thing is: Start as early as you can. It is still OK to not know where you want to go, but apply for colleges and scholarships everywhere to have options. Yes, for the most part, college is supposed to be fun, but we really need the education more than anything. Yeah, but make sure your GPA is still important. I think it probably should be more 70-30 and 70 being the education part. College was made for education and to have a good job one day we need it.”