Over the course of five decades, Dr. Connor Lyons (1892-1966) delivered most of the babies born in Surgoinsville. Aside from being the town’s primary physician, he was also a much beloved mayor and school board member.
This hit singer, who headline the Appalachia Fair twice, has released a “re-imagined” version of some of her most popular songs.
There's plenty to do in Rogersville this weekend as the Appalachian Spring Festival, which was canceled last month due to the threat of rain, will be held all day Saturday at Crockett Springs Park.
The museum has been a staple of the Tri-Cities for decades. First opening its doors in 1987, the museum has been a revolving door of different exhibits and activities for people of all ages. That hasn’t changed, even with a new home at the Gray Fossil Site.
Ready to have some fun? Block parties can be a private neighborhood gathering of friends or a public party anyone can attend or anything in between! The goal is to host 100 block parties this year. The first 100 registered parties will receive a FREE Block Party Kit.
The Tennessee Valley Authority presented Kingsport with a $3,000 contribution on Tuesday, money that would go toward the design work of establishing a new floating stage along the Holston River.
The new website will be updated on a regular basis with news of special events, daily programs and park information. Visitors are encouraged to explore the website and sign up for the Bays Mountain e-newsletter as well.
The Kingsport Aquatic Center will also be participating in International Water Safety Day on May 15 from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Prizes, including free swim lessons and water park passes, will be given out throughout the event.
The disco-era version of the drink, famed for including all clear liquors and a splash of cola, dates to the 1970s and New York. But a version created locally in the 1920s including whiskey — and maple syrup — is being celebrated as “the original” by Visit Kingsport.
Brigham died in 1814 in Montgomery County, Tennessee.
“Big John” was built in 1954 by John Barker and stood in front of Barker’s “Honest John’s” gift shop, restaurant and gas station located on what is now Memorial Boulevard. When the state widened that road in 1959, Barker moved his business to Stone Drive.
Park manager Joe Lindsey noted that the existing ramp has a drop off at the end which is about 18 inches when the water level is low. Lindsey said one boater had torn the axle off his boat trailer after backing off the end of the slab.
Just as it did in the Mel Gibson movie “The River” that was filmed there 35 years ago, the Holston River is claiming real estate at Laurel Run Park at an alarming rate.
The Virginia Coalfield Economic Development Authority board has approved a grant of up to $39,000 to The Breaks Interstate Park for e-bikes, mountain bikes, kayaks and replacement of stairwells at the park’s hotel facilities.
Summer is just around the corner, and that means it’s time to get your water park pass at the Kingsport Aquatic Center. Passes grant admission to the indoor facility beginning May 1 and to the outdoor water park May 14, when it opens.